>Misadventures in Crafting – The Drum Shade Chandelier

>Hello Everyone!

     Hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Halloween. I (meaning, my boyfriend) finally finished another project. I had gotten the idea from Thrifty Decor Chick for a drum shade chandelier. It wasn’t long after I read this post that I found a giant lampshade from the Salvation Army.

So Cleopatra! I did consider keeping it this way. Kinda cool.

     The shade had this big gold band around the top. I considered keeping the shade like it was but I have been banishing all of the other gold in the room. I decided it, too, needed to go. After thinking up a few ideas, I thought I could spray paint the shade using Rustoleum’s Hammered Bronze color. DO  NOT ATTEMPT this unless you have a VERY steady hand! I do not have a very steady hand when it is holding a can of spray paint. I attempted to camouflage some of the blotchiness by painting the inside of the shade white. Then, I had to apply another coat of spray paint because the white got everywhere.
     To hang this lamp, I picked up a swag kit and the lamp bulb kit. This is where the boyfriend comes in. I wasn’t sure how to screw this stuff together and my boyfriend is very handy. All I needed to do was ask him a few times to do this for me and then I brought it all to him while he was watching NASCAR. Bless him, any other man would have told me to beat it (not in these same words). He put the lamp together and then he installed my swag hooks so I could hang the lamp.



Looks cool, huh? Until you turn on the light.

      I love the look of the lamp. When it is turned off. Turn it on and you can see all of the brush marks and uneven-ness of the spray paint. My boyfriend said he thought it was supposed to be like that and that he likes it. Isn’t he the greatest?

http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=crafgeor-20&o=1&p=8&l=bpl&asins=B001EFVL2Q&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifrhttp://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=crafgeor-20&o=1&p=8&l=bpl&asins=B0033PFT46&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifrhttp://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=crafgeor-20&o=1&p=8&l=bpl&asins=B00002NADM&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifrhttp://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=crafgeor-20&o=1&p=8&l=bpl&asins=B001EFXII6&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr

>Easy Saturday Project

>Hello Crafty People!

     Happy Weekend! To me, there is nothing like getting to sleep in a bit on a Saturday morning when I want to fire up my creative juices. And, there is always something around my house that needs a bit of tweaking to transform it from something borrrring to great.
     The first creative project that I did in my new house (not counting painting the walls or putting in laminate flooring) was to paint my hanging light fixtures. In their original condition, they were boring stock fixtures and I think they are in every house on my street. They were gold colored with glass light hoods that had gold rings around them. In my house, I am going for a slightly more rustic look so the shiny gold was just out of place.

After having my boyfriend remove the lamps from the ceiling (I don’t “do” anything electrical) I removed the glass hoods and the light bulbs. I used a fine sandpaper designed for metal to lightly sand the gold colored surface. I then, using a spray primer I primered the whole piece, chain and wiring and all, and let that dry. After about an hour or so, I went back and spraypainted the whole thing in flat black. This did take a little time as after each coat dried, I would find little light spots that needed to be painted again. After about 3 or 4 coats, it was done. I replaced the glass hoods, this time without those rings, and the light bulbs and let the boyfriend re-hang them. Now, I love how they look!
I hope you all have a safe and happy Saturday!
Happy Crafting!